Change the World
Through Missions, Service and Community Impact
As Southern Gables advances Jesus’ life-transforming movement of disciples making disciples, we recognize the importance of reaching out to our world through local and global missions, service and community impact. God called His people to help change the world through the power of His Spirit and the presence of the indwelling Jesus, our Savior and Lord.
What can we do to change the world? Micah 6:8 says: He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness and to walk humbly with your God? Also, Jesus says in Matthew 22:37-39, You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the great and first commandment. And a second is like it: You shall love your neighbor as yourself.
How can you be involved in changing the world? Consider the following avenues that are available to each of us:
Loving our Neighbors
- Love the Lord, and love your neighbors (Matthew 22:37-39)
- Change Your world, the world in which He’s already placed you!
- Who are your neighbors? Who has God brought into your life to love, and to show and share Jesus with?
- Consider your literal neighbors, as well as those you work with, and who you do life with (clubs, hobbies, kid’s schools, etc)
- Want to know more? Email Al Hodges, or call him at 303-986-1527 x203.
At Southern Gables
- Helping pick up seniors and disabled people occasionally for church services and activities (Kasia Vincent: 303-986-1527 x220)
- Helping pick up or deliver food once a month for the food ministry
- Volunteering to help with various aspects of the monthly Wednesday Night Dinners (September – April) (Susan Meyers: 760-885-9429)
- Occasional visiting of people who are shut-in from attending church services and activities (Al Hodges: 303-986-1527 x203)
- Practical help around the homes of seniors and disabled people in our congregation (Al Hodges)
- Helping with gutter cleaning on the first Saturday of November (Al Hodges)
In our Local Community
- Consider volunteering with Street’s Hope, and attending their next training session on February 10. (http://streetshope.org/volunteer/)
- Serving with moms in need at Caring Hands Pregnancy Center in southwest Denver (Lucy Johnson: 303-972-2288)
- Helping to mentor young people at Mt View Youth Services Center in Lakewood, near the church (Al Hodges)
- Assisting with picking fruit in early March and/or early April for use with local food pantries (Al Hodges)
Around the World
Participate in short-term mission trips including:
You can also be involved globally by:
- Getting personally involved
- Getting to know and praying for our missionaries
- Supporting them financially
- Helping practically when missionaries are on local furlough with an extra car, space in your home to host a family, and so forth. (Kasia Vincent: 303-986-1527 ext 220)
- Picking up the new Prayer Guide 2018
- Visiting the Global Outreach Table on Sundays