In Matthew 28:18-20 Jesus gave instructions to His disciples. Today this is known as “the Great Commission.”
Then Jesus came to them and said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”
At Southern Gables, we take Jesus’ instructions to heart. Our mission statement is Advancing Jesus’ Life-Transforming Movement of Disciples Making Disciples. To press deeper into our mission, we all should ask, “What’s my next step in being a disciple and making disciples?” To help determine your next step, you can see the 5 step path in the right-hand column of this page.
What does a disciple look like?
These are some of the characteristics of a disciple of Jesus. None of us is perfect, but we should all desire to be more like Jesus than we used to be. If you’d like to talk with a pastor about how to be more like Jesus, please don’t hesitate to contact us.
- Loving God with my whole heart, trusting him in every circumstance, desiring what he desires.
- Loving others unconditionally and sacrificially, including those whom I believe God brought across my path, even those who may appear to be my enemy.
- Making disciples by sharing with others the love and grace of Jesus and teaching them to be his disciples who make disciples, locally and globally.
- Abiding in Jesus through prayerful conversation with him.
- Seeking the filling of the Holy Spirit so as to grow Christ-like obedience, character, understanding, power, and joy.
- Walking humbly with God to serve his purposes in this world, including acting justly and loving mercy.
- Forgiving others without limit as I have been forgiven.
- Honoring the word of God by hearing, study, reflection, and practice.
- Worshipping God in silence and solitude, in his creation and in community with others by giving time, treasure, and talent.
- Living simply as Jesus did.